Vo Van Thuong elected State President for 2021-2026
The election was held during the fourth extraordinary session of the 15th National Assembly held in Hanoi.
The election was held during the fourth extraordinary session of the 15th National Assembly (NA) in Hanoi.
With 487 out of 488 votes, or 98.38% of the NA's membership, the NA passed a resolution on the election of Thuong. The resolution took effect immediately after it was approved.
After the voting results were announced, Thuong performed the swearing-in ceremony.
“In front of the sacred red flag with yellow star, the NA, and fellow voters nationwide, I, the State President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, am sworn to: Be absolutely loyal to the Fatherland, the people and the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, striving to fulfil the tasks assigned by the Party, State and people well,” the newly-elected President declared as he took his oath.
NA Chairman Vuong Dinh Hue, on behalf of the parliament, recognised the oath of the new President and congratulated Thuong on the election.
Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh, NA Chainman Vuong Dinh Hue, Vice President Vo Thi Anh Xuan, and President of the Vietnam Fatherland Front Central Committee Do Van Chien presented flowers to congratulate President Vo Van Thuong.
Within his speech, President Vo Van Thuong thanked the NA for its trust and for giving him the chance to serve the Fatherland and the people in this position.
He expressed his gratitude to the Party Central Committee, Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong and leaders of the Party and State for confiding in him and recommending him for this position.
This is both a great honour and a very heavy responsibility for him, he said, expressing his infinite respect and gratitude to the late founding father of Vietnam, President Ho Chi Minh.
Biography summary of Vo Van Thuong
1. Full name: VO VAN THUONG
2. Date of birth: December 13, 1970
3. Native place: An Phuoc Commune, Mang Thit District, Vinh Long Province
4. Ethnic group: Kinh
5. Date of Party admission: November 18, 1993
Date of official Party admission: November 18, 1994
6. Training, qualification:
- General education: 12/12
- Degree: Bachelor of Philosophy
- Academic title, degree: Master of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Political theory: High-level
- Foreign language(s): English
7. Reward: Third-class Labour Order; Medal “For Young Generation”; Certificate of Merit by the Prime Minister (2004)
8. Discipline: Collective reprimand for the Standing Committee of Ho Chi Minh City Party Committee (2010-2015)
- Alternate member of the Party Central Committee, 10th tenure;
- Member of the Party Central Committee: 11th, 12th and 13th tenures;
- Secretary of the Party Central Committee: 12th and 13th tenures;
- Member of the Politburo: 12th and 13th tenures;
- Deputy to the National Assembly: 12th, 14th and 15th tenures.
10. Working career
- From 1988 to 1992: Student of Faculty of Philosophy of Ho Chi Minh City University.
- From 1992 to 1993: Member of the Central Committee of Vietnamese Students' Association.
- From 1993 to 2004: Vice Secretary and then Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh City Committee of the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union (HCYU); Chairman of Ho Chi Minh City Youth Union; Member of the HCYU Central Committee and the Standing Board of the HCYU Central Committee; Member of the HCM City’s Party Committee (from October 2003).
- From November 2004 to October 2006: Member of the Ho Chi Minh City Party Committee, Secretary of the Party Committee of District 12.
- April 2006: At the 10th National Party Congress, elected alternate member of the Party Central Committee.
- October 2006: Permanent Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union Central Committee, First Secretary of the Youth Union Central Committee (from January 2007), President of the Vietnam Youth Federation, Chairman of the National Committee for Vietnamese Youth. Deputy of the 12th-tenure National Assembly.
- From January 2011 to April 2014: At the 11th National Party Congress, elected member of the Party Central Committee; Secretary of the Quang Ngai Provincial Party Committee (from August 2011).
- From April 2014 to January 2016: Member of the Party Central Committee, Permanent Deputy Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh City Party Committee.
- January 2016: At the 12th National Party Congress, elected to the Party Central Committee, elected to the Politburo by the Party Central Committee; assigned to the Secretariat by the Politburo.
- From February 2016 to January 2021: Politburo member, Secretary of the Party Central Committee, Chairman of the Party Central Committee’s Commission of Communication and Education; Deputy of the 14th-tenure National Assembly.
- From January 2021 to now: At the 13th National Party Congress, elected to the Party Central Committee, elected to the Politburo by the Party Central Committee; assigned to serve as Permanent member of the Secretariat by the Politburo (February 2021).