5 key areas of cooperation between VWU and UN Women in Viet Nam for 2022-2026 period
Attending the signing ceremony were Ms. Ha Thi Nga, President of the Vietnam Women's Union, Ms. Elisa Fernandez Saenz, Representative of UN Women in Viet Nam.
The cooperation agreement focuses on five key areas for promoting gender equality and empowering women and girls in Viet N am, including:
- Women lead, participate in, and benefit equally from governance systems through strengthening the capacity of the VWU at all levels in reinforcing the voice and participation of women in the formulation of gender-responsive laws and policies.
- Women have decent work and economic autonomy.
- All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence.
- Women and girls contribute to, have greater influence over, and benefit equally from the natural disaster prevention, response, and relief.
- Women and girls contribute to and have more significant influence over building sustainable peace and becoming more resilient to emerging non-traditional and traditional security issues.
This Cooperation Agreement is significant in providing a framework of cooperation between the VWU and the UN Women Viet Nam in areas of common interest for the 2022-2026 period.
Activities under this Cooperation Agreement are in line with functions, tasks, and authorities of each signatory, and with international treaties that Viet Nam and the United Nations adhere to.
Ms. Elisa Fernandez Saenz, UN Women Representative in Viet Nam, affirmed that this was a strategic agreement and a symbol of cooperation between the two organizations having common goal of striving for the women’s development and gender equality in Viet Nam. In addition, the cooperation will also help the two organizations design training programs to strengthen the capacity of VWU staff at the central and local levels to promote gender equality activities in Viet Nam.
Member of Party Central Committee, VWU President Ha Thi Nga and UN Women Representative in Viet Nam Elisa Fernandez Saenz sign MOU
Member of the Party Central Committee, VWU President Ha Thi Nga emphasized: "The cooperation agreement signed today will continue to strengthen the cooperation mechanism between the two sides, helping us to move towards more strategic and effective activities, creating conditions for the VWU and UN Women in Viet Nam to better perform their functions and duties. We believe that the implementation of the Cooperation Agreement in the new period would help multiply joint efforts of the two organizations, contributing to promoting substantive gender equality and development in Viet Nam, especially in the context of international integration".
The signing ceremony of the cooperation agreement between the VWU and the UN Women in Viet Nam on promoting gender equality and empowering women and girls in Viet Nam took place as one activity of the 3rd Meeting of the 13th Central Executive Committee of the Vietnam Women's Union in Ha Noi.